Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Categories
12-13-2016, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 06:51 PM by shrewdie.)
Categories
Hi Lee, I was going to post an offer for James Villa Holiday when I noticed that some of the categories appear to have been removed including Holidays Abroad, Hotels and Accommodation, UK Holidays. Could you please fix asap as this is causing me considerable problems.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2016, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 07:01 PM by icodes.)
RE: Categories
Nothing to fix, they were removed for four reasons..

1 - They are sub categories of Travel, and we only have top level categories (which is why we also deleted Lingerie and Underwear as its a sub category of Clothing and Footwear)

2 - They were nearly empty, we haven't posted in those categories for years, only Barbara posted in them, and she hadn't done any offers for months.

3 - Deals can only be posted in a single category, and some users asked why some deals were posted in the 'sub category' but not showing in the top level category 'Travel'.. So caused confusion as to why we only had sub categories for 2 main categories and why they didn't work as sub categories.

4 - The ONLY reason they were added in the first place was for Barbara as she did travel sites.

The sub category 'Flights and Cruises' was deleted about a year ago, why didn't that also cause you 'Considerable problems?'
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Would have been nice to have been told in advance of such a change and while I not sure about the other categories there are currently 27 Offers under Holidays Abroad.
12-13-2016, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 07:21 PM by icodes.)
Agreed, I should have said they were going to be removed when we finally decided to do it, but I have been talking about removing them for years on the chat section. The 27 offers under holidays abroad will have been moved into 'travel' (as with any other scraps left over from other sub categories). It wasn't us who added them to those categories.

Its took so long to remove the categories because we were waiting for them to fully empty naturally, but on the odd occasion Barbara put deals in them, it was only after she stopped adding deals for months that it allowed them to start to empty and all go in 'Travel', then when she started adding deals again we then decided to delete the categories so they wouldn't get populated again.
12-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Seems sensible to me - UK Holidays has virtually no merchants left worth talking about
12-14-2016, 03:26 PM
Yeah exactly, also do you put a UK hotel holiday deal in 'Hotels and Accommodation' or 'UK Holidays' or 'Travel'... Having sub categories as top level categories just didn't work.
12-14-2016, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2016 05:46 PM by codesandoffers.)
Just want to make a point, I wasn't the one who instigated the sub- categories, I used them because they were there. Andrew, you were the one who wanted UK Holidays. It doesn't really matter but I don't want to be blamed for everything. I think it's sensible to have a top category.

Barbara
12-14-2016, 05:58 PM
I wasnt blaming anyone for anything- I was just saying all the good UK Holiday merchants have more or less expired
12-14-2016, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2016 08:14 PM by shrewdie.)
Ordnance Survey maps now have to go under travel - this is nonsense imho. If nothing else it devalues travel.
12-14-2016, 08:20 PM
surely they go under books?